The Akanksha Foundation is a non-profit organization with a mission to provide children from low-income communities with a high-quality education, enabling them to maximize their potential and transform their lives. Akanksha works primarily in the field of education, addressing formal education by initiating school reform through The School Project as well as non-formal education through the Akanksha centers. Currently, Akanksha reaches out to the 4700 children through its 16 schools and 8 centers in Mumbai and Pune.
The School Project is a venture to open high-quality schools serving children from low-income communities in Mumbai and Pune. These schools are in partnership with local municipalities, with the vision of creating small clusters of model schools in these cities that can be used to impact the mainstream education system. Through the centers, a commitment is made to support each child by providing a strong educational foundation, self-esteem and values, and support towards a steady livelihood with the aim of improving their standard of living.
Central to the mission of Akanksha is the role of the teachers as the children depend on their teachers to bridge the gap between the known and the unknown, to bring the outside world to them, to help them dream, to show them their potential, to push them when everyone else has given up, to empower them to chase their ambitions and to show them that each one of them is incredibly special.
Every Akanksha teacher is directly responsible for at least 30 kids in a class. The teacher’s role is to guide the students towards academic achievement while inculcating self-esteem and values that empower them to think critically and make informed choices leading them to transform their lives.
The teachers cultivate an environment of high achievement coupled with fun learning in the classrooms. They build strong bonds with children to understand each child’s needs and work with the parents as partners in their child’s education and future. They understand the communities the children come from, the background of each child and the challenges they face every day. Despite this, they keep excellence a top priority and empathize rather than sympathize with the kids to push them even harder as they believe in each child’s potential.
The teachers understand that to create an impact on every child, they need to create instructional plans to each child’s needs and deliver instructions in an engaging manner as well as administer assessments to ensure that students are progressing. Teachers ensure that while the learning levels of the students may be different, they are all moving towards meeting the academic goal.
The teachers are leaders of their classrooms as they work within teams to ensure that they are maximizing everyone’s potential. They collaborate with other teachers to plan effectively and examine data to ensure they are setting smart goals, manage a group of volunteers to give support to each child, guide helpers to ensure efficient support, interact with the social worker to address any concerns at home affecting them, communicate with the parents to include them in the learning process and work with the administrative team to ensure they are always moving towards the common goal.
The responsibilities of a teacher in an Akanksha school includes the following:
● To teach a curriculum aligned to our vision for students and to government standards
● To design and present units and lessons that will engage students to learn skills and concepts at a deep level
● To use data to drive decision-making around planning and delivery.
● To identify and select instructional resources to meet the needs of the students with varying backgrounds, learning styles, and special needs.
● To design a variety of assessments to understand how students are learning and to evaluate their progress.
● To execute lessons effectively with strong time management and opportunities for students to learn actively and receive feedback.
● To clearly communicate learning goals and objectives to students during every lesson.
Building classroom and school culture
● To provide a positive environment in which students are encouraged to be actively engaged in the learning process for the specific subject.
● To establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, parents, community and school team
● To develop and maintain a comfortable and orderly classroom atmosphere that promotes learning and encourage questions and problem solving.
● To clearly articulate high expectations for students academically and behaviorally.
● To vary teaching strategies and styles to meet different learning needs.
● To create and maintain effective, relevant and varied hall displays.
● To assist in assessing changing curricular needs and offer plans for improvement.
● To document unit plans, lesson plans and assessments to share across the Akanksha network.
● To actively seek opportunities to learn and grow through class observations and constructive feedback.
● To attend and participate in training and presentations in monthly teachers’ meetings and PD sessions
● To meet professional obligations through efficient work habits such as : meeting deadlines, honoring schedules, coordinating
● To perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the school leader.
● Graduate from any stream or B.Ed , experienced candidates are preferred but freshers may also be considered.
● Possesses strong oral and written communication skills.
● Works as part of a team.
● Accepts responsibility and is self-motivated.
● Demonstrates strong work ethic to achieve school goals.
● Openness to feedback and critical reflection.
● Preferred – B.Ed (primary and secondary grades)
● Strong content knowledge and expertise
● Fluent in written and spoken English
● Love for children and learning
● Willingness to adapt to Akanksha’s instructional approach
● Patience and capacity to solve problems
● Good communication skills
● Good planning and organizing skills
Reports to : School Leader
Location : Mumbai and Pune
To apply to be a teacher in Mumbai, fill out the online application form here.
To apply to be a teacher in Pune, fill out the online application form here.