The Akanksha Foundation won the India NGO Awards-2010 as the ‘NGO of the year’ award in the large category. The India NGO Awards is a unique national competition that celebrates and rewards the best non-governmental organizations by showcasing examples of best practice and successful resource mobilization. The Awards focus on professional management, innovation in local resource mobilization, and the effectiveness of the organization’s activities in improving the lives of the people they serve. Initially launched in partnership with the Nand & Jeet Khemka Foundation, the 2009-2011 India NGO Awards program is a joint venture between The Resource Alliance and the Rockefeller Foundation. Over 210 organizations applied for the India NGO Awards 2010. All entries received are put through a stringent, three level selection process and one organization in each budget category per region is finally shortlisted as a Regional Awardee.
The India NGO Awards seek to:
• Promote good standards and practice in resource mobilization, accountability, and transparency
• Recognize and celebrate excellence in the non-profit sector
• Identify and strengthen successful resource mobilization practices
• Create examples and inspiration for other non-profits and promote cross regional learning
• Promote overall credibility of the non-profit sector for long term sustainability