Journey of Akanksha
The Akanksha Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation with a mission to provide high-quality education to children from low-income communities, enabling them to maximize their potential and transform their lives. Akanksha provides supplemental education through its centres and addresses formal education by running schools and initiating school reform through The School Project.
- 1991 First Akanksha Center Founder, Shaheen Mistri started the first Akanksha center with 15 children at Holy Name School.
- 1996 Art for Akanksha began so children could express themselves and the world could see their potential.
- 2000 Akanksha in Pune started operations in Pune in collaboration with Thermax.
- 2003 First School Intervention. Worked in government schools for the first time, aiming to make a sustainable impact.
- 2007 The School Project Adopted the first municipal school with Thermax Social Initiatives Foundation in Pune.
- 2008 Incubated Teach For India— the two organisations continue to share close ties.
- 2013 India School Leadership Institute Incubating ISLI which will train a new generation of transformational school leaders in India.